Emmer Green is the northernmost suburb of Reading in the English county of Berkshire. The geographical area has, since 1997, been defined by the postcode and extends from Surley Row to the Oxfordshire boundary and from the old Peppard Road to the footpath through Hemdean Valley. The name of the village is believed to derive from an old Saxon word Eamere meaning 'a lake beside a stream'. As of the 2011 census Emmer Green has a population of 7,849 with 3,288 homes.
There are two primary schools, Emmer Green Primary School and The Hill Primary which is situated between Emmer Green and Caversham, and the Comprehensive Highdown School and Sixth Form Centre.
Emmer Green is bordered by the extensive nature reserve at Clayfield Copse and Blackhouse Woods and also by the tip of the Chiltern Hills at Bugs Bottom (also known as Hemdean Bottom). There is a cycle path to Wallingford and access to Balmore Park which overlooks Caversham.
Together with Caversham the area is green-buffered by sports fields, agricultural fields or woodland to the north with Rotherfield Peppard and the west with Mapledurham.
Emmer Green is served by three principal bus routes: the pink 23, 24 and 25 and one community link route the 28.
Football: Caversham AFC – Football recreation ground, Emmer Green FC
Golf: Reading Golf Club – Kidmore End Road.
Rugby: Abbey RFC – Rugby Union playing ground, Peppard Road
Tennis: Caversham Park Tennis Club – Clayfield Copse.
Surley Row conservation area: Surley Row is a very ancient, narrow, winding road, along which are a number of interesting houses, including Caversham Hill, c.1810, the Tudor Old Grove House, and No.46 Surley Row, which used to be the 18th century Gardeners' Arms.
Emmer Green has five former mansions. Two are now converted for residential use; Rosehill House and Notley Place. Rosehill House, standing in 14 acres of ground, was once part of Caversham Manor, the first building being erected in 1791. Martin John Sutton, of Sutton's Seeds, lived there, the house then being called Kidmore Grange. The third, Caversham Park, is owned by the BBC, while Grove House has become Highdown School. Caversham Place was designed by the architect Clough Williams-Ellis for Major-General Sir Cecil Pereira.
There is at least one disused Chalk mine in Emmer Green, referred to as Emmer Green (Hanover) Chalk Mine, with the principal access located at the junction of Peppard Road & Kiln Lane.
Take a look at our other Area Guides: http://www.nicholas1882.co.uk/area-guides
Emmer Green Residents Association www.egra.co.uk
The New Berkshire Village Book, written by members of the Berkshire Federation of Women's Institutes and published by Countryside Books. http://www.visitoruk.com/Reading/emmer-green-C592-V16967.html